Using your ATM and Debit card safely is part of setting things right for yourself. Here are some tips to help protect yourself and your card:
- Sign your ATM or debit card upon receipt.
- Never share your Personal Identification Number (PIN) or give it out over the telephone, even if the caller identifies himself or herself as your financial representative, a police officer, or other person of authority.
- Memorize your PIN and do not share the number with anyone. Do not write your PIN on your card or keep it in your wallet.
- Monitor your transactions for unauthorized use. Online Banking makes it easy to review your transactions online daily.
- Keep an eye on your card until the merchant completes your transaction; and make sure you get your card back.
- Be aware of the expiration date on your debit card. If you do not receive a re-issued card before the expiration date, notify Member Service by calling 586.263.8800.
- Once you receive a reissued card, destroy your old card (shredding is best).
- Be aware of your surroundings, as you approach an ATM. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, visit the ATM later or go to another ATM location. If you suspect dangerous or illegal activity, go to a safe place and call the police.
- Protect your privacy and the privacy of others. Be aware of others in line behind you at the ATM. Position yourself in front of the ATM keyboard to prevent anyone from observing your Personal Identification Number (PIN) entry.
- Fill out deposit forms and have your card ready before approaching the ATM. When your transaction is complete, pocket your card and cash immediately. Count it later in the safety of your locked car or home.
- Remember to keep your car doors locked, windows closed, when you are at the drive-up ATM.
- Save your receipts. Do not leave your receipts at the ATM. Remember to record each transaction and match it to your monthly statement.