Becoming a Member
Benefits of Membership
There are many significant differences between a credit union and a bank. When compared side by side, credit unions have many more advantages. At Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union (MSGCU), we promote the financial well-being of our members, through a system that is member-owned, volunteer-directed, and not-for-profit.
Unlike a bank, we exist solely to serve our members, not to pay high dividends to an outside group of stockholders. Our income is returned to our members through competitive savings rates and low loan rates.
When you become a member of MSGCU, you begin saving money right away by borrowing from us at low interest rates. You'll earn more money—sometimes four times more—on the funds you save at the Credit Union and see lower fees than those charged by banks for fee-based services.
Join us today! It's an opportunity to set yourself on a path to greater financial strength. Membership is easier than you think through one of our numerous membership groups. An initial savings deposit of $5 or more opens the door to membership with Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union. To learn more about MSGCU, visit a Member Services Representative at any of our office locations, call 586.263.8800, or explore our website for more information.
- Employees, students, former students, alumni, and retirees of educational institutions in the Michigan counties of Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw, and Wayne. This includes anyone that went to school in any of these counties or is related to someone that does/did.
- Elected officials, appointed officials, employees, and retirees of any department or agency of the federal government of any state, county, or local government or political subdivision thereof located within the Michigan counties of Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw, and Wayne.
- Any person over age 55 who receives a retirement annuity, pension, social security, or similar retirement payment from private or government sources, and lives in, or belongs to a retirement organization located in Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw, or Wayne Counties.
- All persons who reside, work, attend school, or worship in any county in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
There are many other ways to become a member. For a complete list of member qualifications, click here.
Become a Member
At Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union (MSGCU), we provide the tools, resources, and support members need to reach their goals. Take the first step in getting yourself on the right path to financial success—join MSGCU today!
- An initial savings deposit of $5 or more
- Government-issued valid picture ID
- Your social security number
Please Note: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money-laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents. We will also run a credit report and verify your checking account status with ChexSystems.
Make the Switch to a Credit Union
At Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union, it's easy to make the switch! We offer a step-by-step guide to help make the move from a bank or another financial institution to MSGCU a little easier.
Below is a link to our switch kit as well as sample forms to help with your transfer. So go ahead…make the switch and start setting it right by conducting your financial business with us—it will be worth it!
Step 1: Open a Checking Account
Step 2: Switch Direct Deposit Sample Form
Step 3: Change Automatic Withdrawals (Debits) Sample Form
Step 4: Close Former Account Sample Form
Step 5: Convert Bill Payment Directions
At Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union (MSGCU), we provide the financial tools, resources, and support members need to start reaching their financial goals.
Below are just a few of the many FREE rewards that come with a Credit Union membership.
- Financial counseling
- Educational workshops
- Investment consultations
- Membership loyalty loan discounts
- Referral rewards
- Classroom grants
- 0% loans for teachers
- Scholarship opportunities
- Specialized program for youth
- Specialized program for teens
- Online services
- Discounts on insurance products
Take the first step in getting yourself on the right path to financial success—become a member of MSGCU today!