A little knowledge can put you on the path to prosperity
- Financial counseling. MSGCU offers free financial counseling through a partnership with a non-profit group called GreenPath. Members can receive help with budgeting, credit reports, money management, debt repayment and avoiding bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- Educational workshops. Credit union representatives conduct free workshops on topics such as money management, home buying, retirement planning, budgeting, and identity theft solutions.
- Investment consultations. Almost everyone can use help deciding when to go beyond savings accounts and Money Market accounts and start putting money into stocks or some other investment. MSGCU's experts can help you build a clear plan for the future; just schedule a free consultation.
Another good source of financial advice is the Common Interest newsletter issued quarterly by the Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union. The publication comes free with your MSGCU membership.
Save when you borrow. Earn even more when you refer friends.
- Membership loyalty loan discounts. MSGCU members can benefit from a 0.25% reduction on most loan rates when they schedule automatic transfers from checking or savings accounts to make their monthly payments.
- Discounts on Insurance Products. Members get great rates on auto, homeowners, and life insurance provided through our partnership with the TruStage insurance program.
- Cash rewards with Sprint. With the Credit Union Member Cash Rewards program, MSGCU members earn $100 in cash rewards per new line on unlimited lines with Sprint and a $100 annual loyalty reward every year.
- Savings when using TurboTax to file taxes. TurboTax is up to date on the latest tax laws and guarantees 100% accurate calculations, so you can be confident your taxes are done right. And MSGCU members can save up to $15 on TurboTax products!
- Referral rewards. MSGCU members receive $5 for every person they refer who also becomes a member. You get $25 when you refer someone who gets an auto or RV loan, and $100 when you bring in friends and family members who obtain mortgages.
Members also receive exceptional convenience from tools that provide 24/7 access. At no cost, you can check balances, pay bills, transfer funds and make loan payments without visiting a Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union branch.
We put a high value on education — and educators
- Scholarship opportunities. High school seniors, college students pursuing careers in education and school teachers and administrators who want to continue their studies can all apply for MSGCU scholarships that help offset college costs.
- Classroom grants: MSGCU awards more than $45,000 a year to teachers who propose innovative projects. Members can vote online to decide who wins the money.
- 0% loans for teachers. Dedicated teachers often buy their own classroom materials. MSGCU eases the financial burden with no-fee, zero-interest loans of up to $500.
- Classroom Presentations. We offer in-class programs and financial reality fairs to provide financial education in a fun, informative way for your students' benefit.
Learn more about our classroom grant program — and vote for your favorite teacher — at classroomcash.org. More information on scholarships — including the names of recent winners — is available at msgcuscholarships.org.
Free fun gives young savers a head start
- Save-A-Lot Squad. This club is a great way for kids up to age 12 to learn about saving money. Once a young person opens an account, he or she gets prizes for additional deposits, birthday cards and gifts and access to fun contests and activities.
- MyMoney.club. This club teaches teens ages 13 to 17 the basics of money management. After opening an account, members can attend free financial education seminars, learn more about college aid and planning, and apply for special scholarships.
There's no charge to join either the Save-a-Lot Squad or MyMoney.club. To sign someone up for either group, call Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union at 866.674.2848 or visit one of our branches.